Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What is a Creative and Performing Arts Preschool?
Kaleidoscope Preschool is designed to teach academic skills to young children through integration and exploration of creative and performing arts.
Using thematic units, we teach literacy, mathematics, social studies, and science skills through an integrated approach with art, music, dance, drama, and yoga.
- What would my child be learning?
Students at Kaleidoscope focus on kindergarten readiness skills using the eight essential skill areas for early childhood readiness and lifelong learning:
- Social Emotional Development
- Approaches to Learning
- Science/Social Studies
- Physical Health and Development
- Creative Arts
- How does a preschooler benefit from this type of education?
Our curriculum, based on Reggio Emilia early childhood development philosophies, encourages students to be curious, active, and creative. Children are given opportunities every day to explore and inquire into new ideas. This learning is reinforced and expanded through regular instruction in the arts: dance, art, music, drama, and yoga.
Many research studies have concluded that in order for students to develop creativity, imagination, and curious minds, they need to experience both academic tasks and activities from the arts. Research also shows that early exposure to the arts helps to prepare the whole child for academic success, particularly as an enhancement to STEM education.
- What makes this program worth it?
There are several reasons why our program is worthy of the investment in your child’s future:
- Many preschools charge an additional fee for enrichment classes. Our arts-based program features all-inclusive pricing.
- This innovative approach to preschool is the result of extensive research and development.
- The curriculum was designed and developed by a team of educators – individuals who have significant credentials and experience in their area of expertise.
- Specialists are experts in the arts. Each specialist has expertise in professionally teaching dance, music, art, drama, and yoga.
- Arts specialists are experts specific to dance, music, art, drama, and yoga.
- What is the daily schedule?
Children may be dropped off anytime between 8:30 and 9:00 free time for self directed playtime and social interaction. Actual school time begins at 9:00 a.m. Most days will go like this:
- Welcome – including stretches, poetry, discussion, math games, songs and seasonal activities
- Specials: 45- minute instruction in dance, art, music, drama or yoga
- Snack break
- Thematic literature and active lesson
Our school day ends at 12:00. Children are welcome to enjoy more free play time until 12:30, at which time all students must be picked up.
- Will class be cancelled due to weather?
We follow the decision of our local public school district for closures due to weather. If you suspect inclement weather, please check the school district website: laramie1.org or tune into your local television or radio station for details. Missed classes will not be re-scheduled.
- How old must my child be to attend Kaleidoscope
Students who are 3 years of age and older may enroll at KPS. Younger students may be assessed for readiness on an individual basis. We are unable to accept children who are in diapers.
- Will my child need any special equipment or clothing to participate?
Students bring a nutritious snack and a water bottle from home. Students should wear comfortable clothes that allow movement. Students are required to wear a separate pair of indoor shoes. Street shoes are not allowed in any of the classrooms. Parents are asked to provide an extra set of clothing for their child in the event of an accident.
- Are there opportunities for parent involvement?
Parents (and grandparents) will have several opportunities to observe and interact with the students. Through various units, there will be in-house gallery walks, mini-performances, and volunteer opportunities. Parents are notified when these events are scheduled.
- Will I get progress reports of my child’s success?
Yes, we will be monitoring student progress and success. Parents will receive regular information about the units of study and individual updates on student progress verbally and through a written report.
- Is the program aligned with other preschool standards?
Our curriculum is aligned to state and national standards, including the Wyoming standards for preschool/kindergarten readiness.